The house at 124 Charles Street in Annapolis, formerly known as the Jonas Green House, is now the Anne Catharine and Jonas Green House. The name change has been made by the current occupants Dede Brown and Randall Brown, the fifth great grandson of Anne Catharine and Jonas Green. Anne Catharine and Jonas were married in the 1730s when Jonas was a printer’s apprentice to Benjamin Franklin in Philadelphia; they relocated to Annapolis in 1738, set up a print shop in their backyard, and published the Maryland Gazette newspaper. Jonas died in 1767 with marginal assets. Within several years Anne completed purchase of the house and expanded the printing business to include official governmental publications and the printing of paper money backed by the Maryland General Assembly. Anne Catharine Green was the first woman to publish and own an American newspaper.
Click on the above image to read more.